This article is intended for customers from all countries other than Germany*
Biotin (also known as The Beauty Compound) is part of the water soluble group of B vitamins and is important for promoting good skin health and regulating LDL (bad) cholesterol and blood sugar. Biotin is also necessary for the production of keratin – a protein which promotes strong hair and nails.
Along with dietary sources, the healthy bacteria in our gut should produce enough biotin to meet our daily needs. This is another example of why good gut health is of paramount importance to the proper functioning of our bodies.
For a good dietary hit of biotin and improved gut health, try these two delicious recipes!
‘Gut-Beauty’ Green Smoothie
Ingredients (makes 500 ml)
- 300 ml organic almond drink
- ½ small avocado
- ½ banana
- 2 thin slices of fresh ginger
- 1 handful of fresh parsley
- 1 handful of fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 teaspoons of wheat bran
- Juice of one Lime (or one small lemon)
- Water (to adjust texture)
Properly wash and dice all ingredients before blending in a high quality food processor. Adjust the texture of your smoothie by adding water until your desired consistency is reached.
Tip: Blend the greens and almond milk first before adding in the rest of the ingredients for a smoother texture.
Serve chilled and decorated with crushed almonds, parsley and a slice of lemon. Enjoy!
Tempeh and sweet potato stew
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- 300 mg of natural organic tempeh, cut into 1.5 cm cubes
- 150 mg of white beans (Vigna unguiculata is particularly easy to digest)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, washed and diced into equal sizes
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 250 ml of vegetable broth (organic instant powder or self made)
- 6 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 small cans of sweet corn
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon curry spice
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- 200 g natural rice
Soak the white beans overnight for 12 hours. Discard the soaking water then cook as indicated on the package. Blend the tomatoes with the vegetable broth until smooth.
Add the coconut oil into a large pan over medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and sweet potato and fry for 10 minutes. Stir in the spices and tomato broth base then leave to simmer for 20 minutes (or until the sweet potatoes are completely soft). Meanwhile, start cooking the rice as indicated on the package. Once the potatoes are cooked, add the tempeh, other chopped vegetables and pre-cooked beans then simmer for another 10 minutes. Finally, add in the fresh cilantro and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the stew with rice in small bowls decorated with fresh herbs and some sour cream.