This article is intended for customers from all countries other than Germany*
Artichokes contain high levels of cynarin and silymarin - two compounds that have been shown to improve the overall health of the liver by stimulating bile flow (a process which helps to carry toxins from your liver out of your body).
Try this delicious Liver-Boosting Artichoke Smoothie to get your daily dose of artichoke!
Ingredients (makes 500ml)
- 2 Artichokes (ideally fresh from the market and self-prepared but if this isn’t possible, jarred is fine)
- 1 handful of dandelion (you can find these in organic stores or weekly markets)
- 2-3 large leaves of green curly kale
- 2-3 large leaves of green lettuce
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 slices of fresh, ripe pineapple
- ½ an organic pear
- 1 teaspoon of linseed oil
- water to adjust texture
*If fresh artichokes are used: Remove the stems and wash your artichokes. Steam them in a steaming pot/bamboo steamer until soft and remove the hard outer leaves. Use the hearts for your liver boost smoothie.
*If you use artichokes from the glass: Remove from the oil, thoroughly wash with water and leave to dry.
Wash and dice the dandelion, green curly kale, lettuce and pineapple. Add all ingredients into a high quality blender. Adjust your smoothie’s texture with water and serve chilled. The smoothie will last in the fridge for approximately 2 days.