This fresh summer salad is perfect for a light lunch or dinner on warm afternoons or evenings in the garden. The tangy, crunchy salad is packed full of dietary fibre, beneficial bacteria, immune-boosting vitamin C and healthy fatty oils, while the black cumin rolled flatbreads are a fun and filling addition to the dish that add a fantastic anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich punch!
For the bread (makes 5-6):
- 250g Spelt flour (full grain, if possible), or a gluten free alternative
- ½ cube of fresh baking yeast
- 100ml lukewarm water
- 80ml natural yoghurt (or a plant based alternative)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 handful of fresh herbs of your choice (a good match are cilantro or marjoram)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons of sugar
- Black cumin seeds for decoration
- Coconut oil for cooking
For the salad:
- 500g of fresh organic field salad, washed
- 100g of organic feta cheese (or a vegan alternative), crumbled
- 1 ripe pomegranate, peeled
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 handful of mixed seeds (sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and linseed)
For the dressing:
- 100ml EVOO
- 100ml raspberry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
Prepare the bread dough by mixing the sugar, lukewarm water and yeast in a bowl. Leave to rest for 15 minutes to activate the yeast. Meanwhile, wash and chop the herbs and garlic into fine pieces. Add flour, salt, yoghurt and olive oil into the bowl with the yeast and mix to form a dough. Cover with a towel and leave to expand in a warm place for one hour. Once the dough has rested, add in the herbs and garlic, knead once more and then form 5-6 equally sized balls of dough. Leave the balls for another 30 minutes in a warm place.
Prepare the salad while you wait by mixing all ingredients together in a bowl. Whisk together dressing ingredients and adjust seasonings to taste. Toss together.
Heat a pan with a small amount of coconut oil. Roll dough into flatbreads and fry in the pan on both sides for a few minutes, until golden brown. Turn the baked breads into black cumin seeds and serve warm with the salad. Enjoy!